Fresh eggs have a variety of benefits over commercial eggs including flavor, eye appeal (yolk color, shell color, and consistency), and even nutritional content.
According to an oft-cited 2007 study by Mother Earth News Magazine, eggs laid by hens raised on pasture, as compared with eggs laid by confined factory farm chickens have:
- Up to 2⁄3 more vitamin A
- 4 to 6 times as much Vitamin D
- Up to 3 times more vitamin E
- Up to 7 times more beta carotene
- Up to twice as much omega-3 fatty acids
- Up to 1⁄3 less cholesterol
- Up to 1⁄4 less saturated fat
While our chickens don’t have continuous access to pasture as those used in this study, they do get an abundance of leafy greens, bugs, and exercise, which are all key components to their health and nutrition. Our chickens are unmedicated, free range and are fed with a standard layer feed, heavily supplemented with organic greens and seeds from our garden and yard.